Megan Wheelehan ( - She/her )
Deputy County Counsel
Megan Wheelehan joined the Office of the County Counsel in November 2021. Megan is assigned to the Health and Hospitals Team and provides counsel and advice to the Behavioral Health Services Department, Acute Psychiatric Services Department of Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, and the Behavioral Health Board. Prior to joining the Office of the County Counsel, Megan was an attorney at California’s Department of Industrial Relations, in the legal unit of the Office of the Director, where she represented the director in worker’s compensation proceedings and provided advice and counsel to the director. Megan previously worked as an attorney at the Law Foundation of Silicon Valley, where she supervised a team of patients’ rights advocates and provided advocacy services to county mental health consumers.
Prior to attending law school, Megan worked as case manager at a drop-in center for people experiencing homelessness and housing instability and as an anti-violence advocate at an LGBT2QI center. Megan’s professional expertise includes health care law with a focus on mental health law and California’s LPS Act, labor and employment law including worker’s compensation, and public benefits.
Office practice areas
- Health and Hospitals Team
- Loyola University Chicago, School of Law, J.D., 2014
- Public Interest Fellow, June-August 2014
- Attorney at California Department of Industrial Relations (2020-2021)
- Supervising Attorney at Law Foundation of Silicon Valley (2018-2020)
- Patients’ Rights Attorney at Law Foundation of Silicon Valley (2014-2020)