Avril D. Vazquez ( - She/Her/Hers )
Deputy County Counsel
Avril Vazquez has been with the Office of the County Counsel since 2000, and she has served on the Child and Family Protection Team since 2002. Avril advises and trains the County’s Department of Family and Children’s Services (DFCS) and its social workers in all areas of child welfare law, from emergency response to adoption. She also represents DFCS and County social workers during juvenile dependency court hearings and before the Sixth District Court of Appeal.
In addition, Avril has substantial experience working with the County’s Educational Rights Project / Project YEA!, and Dually Involved Youth Program, advising and supporting the DFCS and Juvenile Probation Department regarding issues facing juvenile court cross-over youth. Avril’s professional expertise includes juvenile law, including juvenile dependency law, education law, appellate law relating to juvenile dependency, cross-over issues for youth involved in both the juvenile dependency and juvenile justice systems, and forensic training in child welfare law.
Office practice areas
- Child and Family Protection Team
- Santa Clara University School of Law, J.D., 1995
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., 1992
- Attorney at Finnegan, Marks and Hampton (2000)
- Advocate Supervisor at Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) of San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties (1999-2000)
- Attorney at Juvenile Defenders/Associate Dependency Attorneys (1996-1999)